Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 21 (*23)

Day 21 - Saturday.

We had a nice day. We went shopping for a bit at Manda Hill...then Tanis decided she would go for a pedicure...her first one ever in Zambia. I was a little leary...a pedicure. However I went for it. Yes we did it with three kids at our feet. It was very nice and much cheaper than it would be at home. It was a splurge no doubt. It felt a bit weird...to be enjoying something so vacation-like.

I went really looking for backpacks for Chazano and Zunduka for our trip. We finally found them in Game. Unreal the prices, here. $92,000 kwacha each...like $20 each...and they are $8 quality. But they were cute and they were sooooo excited when they realized they were THEIRS. You can tell they've never really received gifts much the way they react. Having no idea what to do with them...it was all giggles when I put them on their back :)

We were almost stolen from at lunch. We ate at a restaurant outside and Tanis was telling me this guy came by looking for our bags. A while later I said "is that him?" and she was like "YES!" we had our bags over our knees under the table. He came over. Sat at a table next to us. Kept staring. It wasn't that comfortable. Then he grabbed his chair and came very very close to Tanis whispering to her. The whole time he was talking I was watching his hand stutter as he stared at her cell phone on the table. I reached over and grabbed it. Don't think he was pleased about that. Tanis started saying "GO AWAY FROM OUR TABLE" and he wasn't moving so she got a bit louder. Crazy how they come up close then grab whatever you have and run. Having all passports (mine included) on me...I was not thrilled about the possibility of losing it!

We actually stopped at a grocery store today at the end of the day because...don't tell anyone...but I'm not sure if I can handle guava AGAIN for the ... what...17th....? ... night in a row for dessert! So I bought a chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream. Hahah. Total splurge. Cannot wait to have it tonight in a bit.

We got home just in time for me to have my Shima making lesson from the cook here Edina. Ok...it was not easy. My arm was hurting and she's standing over me going "no do it stronger, harder....come on...faster!" Hilarious. Finally I did make it. That was pretty exciting because I'm bringing the white corn meal home with me so I can make it for the boys. Zunduka loves it...Chazano is ok with it. I actually love it as well. I guess if you are in Zambia 4 weeks.... :) No we haven't had it that much but I do really like it. They cooked shima and potatoes tonight and I didn't touch the potatoes. Ok ... for those of you that don't know...Shima is the staple here. Kind of like tortillas are to mexicans....shima is to Africans. They make it what a few different things but the best is made with corn meal. The corn here is field corn so its white. Therefore our cornmeal looks different than what you get at home. It is a hot warm...mush. :) Yup that's it. It's pretty tasteless (like corn tortillas) but what they do is serve a big scoop of it...you wash your hands and don't dry them...then come to the table with no utensils and eat. Shima, a veggie (like a cabbage or something) and a meat with a 'relish' or sauce. So you take a piece of shima...ball it up in your hands and start dipping and eating all with your fingers. So....I love it. ... with fork and knife :) It makes me a bit sick seeing the hand eating...lol.

Ok that was our day. It went fast for which... I am thankful.

I really was spoken to today by Job 31.

15. Did not he who made me in the womb...make him?
And did not one fashion us in the womb?

16. If I have withheld anything that the poor desired, or have caused the eye of the widow to fail,

17. Or have eaten my morsel alone, and the fatherless has not eaten of it

18. For from my youth the fatherless grew up with me as with a father and from my mother's womb I guided the widow.

19. If I have seen anyone perish for lack of clothing
or the needy without covering

20. If his body has not blessed meand if he was not warmed with the fleece of my sheep

21. If I have raised my hand against the fatherless
because I saw my help in the gate

22. Then let the shoulder blade fall from my shoulder and let my arm be broken from its socket.

Ok it really hit me. You think God cares about the poor? Widowed? Fatherless? There are so many... so many. In a way it feels so insignificant here to be walking away with two children. There are millions. The masses. The people. People all...going somewhere. We are adopting two little boys that don't know how blessed and chosen they are. Yet there are so many. It's actually a strange feeling to be here and so how many needy there are. I've actually struggled a bit with the "why them?" Not anything against Chazano and Zunduka but a "why did You choose them?" I may never know. I may never know why He chose me either. But He did. I am so glad He did.


Tirzah--Can't wait to see you ... even if it is in your dressup clothes ;)
Zion--guess what?? Mama bought you the coolest shoes today, I think you will love them!
Azlan--Mama is very excited to meet with a doctor tomorrow...that comes and does operations on little boys and girls like you! I will show him your picture! :) (Yes I found your orange safari hat :)
Azahria Peace--we are planning your party from here!!

Dean--4 very counted days left. 5 til I see you. XO

Happy saturday to you all...
From Lusaka.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janice.. still religiously following this blog. Praying now that Thursday will be here before you know it. Safe travels. And I can't WAIT to see your collection of pictures. I'll be trying to identify everything and everyone!! Bear hugs. SUE

    ReplyDelete