Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 13.

Day 13. What a day. This is the most celebrated day of this journey so far. Life is funny like that isn't it? You would think the day I passed court would have been THE DAY but I knew that was only the beginning and the tough part...was to come. The US Embassy told me "oh your trying part will be the Zambian dealings, especially birth registry". Yeah. That was just my warning--I had no idea.

Let me start with some background:

A million miles away...in Pasco...a special friend who has recently adopted a sweet girl from Ethiopia was listening to KLOVE and as a song came on ... God whispered to her "this is for Janice". Here it is:

While I'm Waiting - John Waller

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

I absolutely love the song and it's pretty fitting for me right now. This morning as I walked into the office...my instant reaction is to slump my shoulders (spiritually) and gear up for a horrid day. OR...I can make a choice. A choice to stand tall knowing...God is with me. He's on my side. I'm on His. We're together...and I'm waiting on Him. Just last night as I was reading my Max Lucado book "Come Thirsty" this caught my attention:

"Who has time to wait we groan at such a thought. But waiting doesn't mean INactivity...rather inHIMactivity. Waiting means watching for Him. If you are waiting on a bus, you are watching for the bus. If you are waiting on God, you are watching for God, searching for God, hoping in God. Great promises come to those who do. 'But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Is. 40:31".

Thats what I went to sleep on. That tomorrow...I would wait on Him. Isn't it beautiful how across the miles God gives a friend a song for me...on the same exact topic: waiting on Him. Warms me to the core of my inner being.

Ok--the day started with me being nudged "Janice...its 10 minutes to 8". Honestly. I could do it no other way!! :) Jacob was arriving at 8am :) I was up like lightning and on my way. 8:05 I got called that Jacob was here and I was out in the car! Breakfast? Not today. I did manage to grab an un-bruised plum (quite a treasure here..) and that was it.

I was greeted by Jacob and Fred all smiles ready for the day. The driving was interesting this morning. In fact ... a common line of mine to them today was "OH...this is how you do it in Zambia!" :) They would laugh. Clearly getting more comfortable around me. Some interesting driving. :)

We arrived at the office and were told to wait at office #14. The man switches between #6 and #14. He was in 6 and was on his way to 14. There was a school girl in uniform standing ahead of us that was it. She was sweet. 12th grade...coming for her birth certificate. The wait...outrageous. There is simply ZERO consideration of the rest of us as human beings. If you work there...you rule. All there is to it.

Finally he came in after 1.5 hours...it was so long of a wait that I propped my bag in the hallway and sat down. You just can't stand for that long without getting dizzy in the small smelly hallways. When the man came, Jacob burst ahead of the girl but I made sure she got in the hotseat first. Poor girl. She was quite upset that she was now late for school. The man gets a phone call and goes "sure, I'll be right there" and promptly marches out for 20 minutes! Un. Real.

He comes back and is yelling at the school girl telling her she needs to "go back" and get more signatures. She cried. He said "do you have a problem?!" :( She left and then it was us. Oh wasn't he delighted to see us back. After several minutes of him yelling back and forth with Jacob..."come back in 21 days...what don't you people understand?" he turns to me...who is sitting there full blown wiping tears off my face. He says " can you at least come back in one week?" I shook my head no. He said "you are saying you cannot come back in ONE week???" I shook my head no. Then Jacob pipes in and says "sir...you told us to come back this morning...we trusted your word". The man laughs a mocking laugh. He says "are you ACCUSING me??" . ahhh. Finally he turns to someone else, ignores us and continues working through the people.


By the way... something funny is that everyone in the offices were recognizing me. The General walked by and said "WHAT on earth are you doing here...you've been here everyday for over a week!!" so it was good that people were seeing it wasn't right.

Eventually the man in #14 turns to me and says "I'll call upstairs....ok....go wait down the hall for a bit".

We do. Guess what? He forgets about us.

Jacob tiptoes back in there and I hear him talking to the man. Finally the man says "look I talked to my boss upstairs and he says come back at 15 hours and we'll have it done!!". (3pm). We look at each other...shrug and go.


We texted Tanis and she said they were at Manda Hill mall eating at Galito's we were welcome to join. We gladly jumped on it. We went and by the time we arrived they were done eating...we ordered--Tanis gave Jacob 50,000K and I gave 50,000K and the meal was just right. We were starving. All during the meal I was filling out Passport forms. Then we left to go see where Tanis was ... the kids were playing and I found Mika with Michelle (a teacher here) and the baby was WAILING. Michelle looked a tad frustrated so I said "I'll take her". I had her asleep in about 3 minutes. She looked at me and goes "how did you do that???". I guess I've done it a few times before ;).

We started back for the birth registry office. Once we got there...we could see our man was tied up in #14. He saw me though and said "please head upstairs, my boss has your file" this is the big guy I thought was going to be terrifying.

Brace yourself.

When we walked up a man in a suit met me at the stairs and did a formal Zambian greeting...they kind of do this bow. I'm like 'okkk who is this?" he then digs out his keys and opens the door to the office and welcomes us inside. He introduces himself as the man that makes the decision. Ok. How THIS man runs this horrific office...I have no idea. I'm still not convinced the man wasn't an angel. He was almost unreal. He was a big man, full suit, and a soft face...almost beautiful. He glowed. About 55 years. Smiled often. He sat on the couch beside us and just started chatting. (!!). He said "I really wish you brought the twins with you..." I thought this was another stall so I said "I can bring them back..." he turns to me and says "Yes please, will you? Monday morning?" I'm like ??? He gets up and digs out several files. He shows me before and after photos of children that he has personally signed off on the adoption... he said "I keep in touch with the families that adopt from here...and track their progress...its wonderful". Wow. He was the warmest ray of sunshine I've seen in Zambia so far. I keep thinking of his warm face and how he chatted with us forever. I showed him photos of Dean and I and of our family. He just sat there and smiled. So much so that I got my camera out and showed him pics of the twins and I. What a gift we were given. A horrendous 1.5 weeks in this building and the man running it all...was beautiful. I sat there talking to God saying "really? You knew this was here all along didn't you? This was the beautiful ending to a hard rocky road".
When he opened the file, my heart leapt. It was all done. I could see the documents complete. And then...I saw a problem. On Zunduka's bc his name was spelled Zinduka. Oh no. It wouldn't work. I pointed it out and he quickly went...Oh no problem we'll fix that right away. He called #14 and said "you have an error I need it fixed right away". This was 4pm. The man didn't come. didn't come. didn't come. We sat and chatted. And in that chat...a man came in and pulled up a chair. This man even introduced us all as if we were friends!! When the other man left he told us "that is my good friend. We started working as Police the same day together over 20 years ago!! He is the head of the....drumroll....PASSPORT OFFICE!!!" Ok. God was saving all the best for last! We are like "say that again?" :) He said "here is my number, call me first thing tomorrow morning and I'll get you in to see him".

Long story short...you'll hardly beleive it but we were sent back down to #14...and sat and waited. The boss called him several times while we were there telling him to hurry. No way was he going to hurry. He was cleaning his desk, chatting with his secretary... wow. The office closes at 5. We didn't leave til 6:10. No joke at all. He finally digs out a typewriter and starts retyping it. He does but guess what? We can't find the boss!!! Jacob goes into the parking lot and finds him in his truck with his wife!!! He comes upstairs signs and we all take off. Not without snapping a few pictures to show you sometime. Some of Jacob and I holding the documents and some of the dark dingy hallways so you know what we faced every single day for 1.5 wks.

What. A. Day.

This by the way...was a big big moment. Nothing in the court was official until today. Today made the adoption final. They are ours. We have birth certificates in their new names and Adoption Orders. Oh thank you Father.

We walked out of that office and I said "I hope to never ever be back" and Jacob says "until you come adopt the next one". That's just not even a thought at this point. LOL.

Everyone was going out for dinner tonight so I was late. I joined them all...and handed Jacob and Fred 100,000K (about $22) to go out for dinner tonight on me. As a HUGE thankyou.

I'm almost in shock. As if I doubted God would carry through with His own plan. It's a bit overwhelming and funny how all of a sudden I feel the boys are my children and I have hugged them more tonight than I have so far. Now they are ours. Mine. I am mama of 6 children...3 more in Heaven. God - you are so good.

Adopted. Chosen. Just like He has adopted me. I will not leave you as orphans...I will come to you. We have come Zunduka and Chazano. You have a family. You have a Mama and a daddy and 2 more brothers and 2 sisters. You have no idea what's in store and how absolutely blessed you are ... to be brought to America...and to a christian family. God has seen you from the very beginning and right then...knew He would not leave you as orphans.

The plan tomorrow is to get up early, Jacob is picking me up at 8am...heading to the passport office.

Thank you so much for those of you that almost feel you are in Zambia walking this path with me. You have cried with me, laughed with me, prayed around the clock with and for me, you have interceeded on my behalf you have absolutely helped bear my burdens. You have been amazing friends. From a heart that has come so far....from holding on with everything I had to the securities that I even tried to justify...my husband, my children, my unborn child. To having it all taken away for a time...to walk in the desert...and finally see it is my Father that is my security. He is my all. In all. He gives. He takes away. My heart will 'choose' to say: blessed be the name of the Lord. Blessed be His name.

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Takeing every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord



My precious Tirzah, Zion, Azlan and Azahria Peace. Not a day goes by where my mind doesn't float to you. I see things...often through your eyes. I love you. Deeper than you know. The same God that is with you and has never left your side...is with Mama in Africa. Keep praying.

Dean-Thank you for being mine.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Janice!!!! I texted you last night hope u got my message :)

    love ya... Erum & Ezzah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. So I can't tell you just how long I sat with your blog open, refreshing the screen, until today's update appeared! I couldn't WAIT to read it! But I had to.. wait and WATCH - I liked that, Janice. And now my heart is FULL of thanksgiving to HIM. HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD! Fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart; consider what GREAT THINGS He hath done for you (2 Samuel 12:22) SUSANNE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice,
    I read this holding my breath until the very end. God is SO good!! You are a mama to 6 and 3 more wait for you in heaven. Love you and your beautiful family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This WHOLE post, my friend, has given me chills!! What a WONDERFUL Daddy we have...praise You Father, for moving these mountains...we KNOW that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You and that YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING!!! Love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so wonderful Janice! So glad that that part of your journey is over and you can move forward. The "boss man" did sound like an angel.
    Still praying...
    Rayna

    ReplyDelete